Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Stories

Christmas Stories
Heartwarming Classics of Angels, a Manger, and the Birth of Hope

By Max Lucado

I should begin by saying that I'm not a huge fan of Max Lucado. I have read some decent writing by him, but with his nonfiction stuff I just get the feeling that he's trying to sell books rather than put out new helpful fresh material for his readers.

BUT, I have always been blown away by his fiction work. His kids stories are beyond compare so I was intrigued to get a chance to review his new collection of Advent stories, especially since a friend and I are celebrating Advent together this year and it was really nice to be able to make it special by incorporating this book into what we are doing.

The first story really set the tone for me. It was a longer one, a few chapters long, but it had all the elements of a great story in it. A mystery, conflict, even a hint of romance and a fantastic climax. The stories rolled on from there. Some long, some short, but all brought out a different aspect of the true significance of the Advent/Christmas season in a way that gave me something new to meditate on with each story -- which is just what I wanted since I was looking forward to digesting this book slowly as I savour the Saviour during this Advent season. It dovetails so nicely with my Advent scripture readings and prayers.

Thanks Max, I really enjoy this one. Keep it up with the fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment