Friday, March 8, 2013

It's Helpful to know "The Story of the Voice"

The Story of the Voice
By David Capes, Chris Seay, and James Couch

I have counted myself very blessed to have been able to read from the Voice Bible translation almost exclusively lately. I'll be honest, I didn't think I'd like it at first and every serious Bible reader I've tried to introduce it to since has had serious reservations about acknowledging a "paraphrase" of the Bible (and don't even get me started on the difficulties associated with suggesting they actually read it!) But I can say without any hesitation that I *love* the Voice translation and have come to trust it as a safe and reliable rendering of God's Word to His people. That being said, Id like to stop being ridiculed for having gone over to the "dark side" or loose side when it comes to Bible translations and that's where "The Story of the Voice" comes in.

I must admit that I probably would never have purchased this book; not because if isn't *excellent*, but because the idea of spending money on a book about a translation (when said translations has a perfectly comprehensive forward included with it) is a little much for my frugal mind to agree to. But I am so glad to have it.

The story of this translation is truly fascinating, and it's important to be able to get into the minds of the people behind this work in order to understand the thought process and prayer that went into some of the more startling translation/rendering decisions.

Get it. Understand it. And I challenge you to walk away from the Voice without a new respect for this controversial translation. Then pass the Story on to the next person who you think would benefit from stepping into the Story of Scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment